Yoga Studies Program Summer 2017-Spring 2018
with Holly Walck Kostura
The Yoga Center of Lawrence is pleased to announce the Yoga Studies Program, with Holly Walck Kostura. Once per quarter over the next year, Holly will come to Lawence to work with students wishing to delve deeper into the study of Yoga.
Our objectives are:
- to organize our home practice so it is purposeful and methodical, allowing it to grow deep roots and bear fruit.
- to study the philosophy of yoga and cultivate stability, maturity and clarity in our lives.
The information presented in this program will be done in a practical manner. Theoretical knowledge will be learned experientially, in a “hands-on” learning environment.
We will study ourselves through the practice of Yogasanas (postures) and focus on philosophy topics as taught in the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, bringing depth and authenticity to our studies.
Once accepted into the program, students will be given at-home reading and practice assignments designed to build the firm foundation of their sadhana (practice).
This program will have four weekends, one per quarter:
- Summer (August 25 - 27)
- Fall (December 1 - 3) 2017
- Winter and Spring 2018 (TBA).
Tentative Weekend Schedule:
- Fridays: 5:30 - 8:00 PM
- Saturdays: 10:00 AM - 12:30 PM; 1:00 PM - 5:00PM (optional Teacher Education)
- Sundays: 9:30 AM - 12:00 PM
In order to benefit from this program, applicants must have:
- a sincere interest in the study of Yoga and how its philosophy relates to the way we live in the world.
- a commitment to complete all assigned reading (see required reading list below)
- a commitment to the dates listed in the program description.
Course Fees and Policies
The total cost of this course is $1000. Individual weekends may become available. A non-refundable deposit of $75 is required with your application. The balance due must be paid in full before the program begins unless alternate arrangements are made. No refunds will be offered once the program has begun.
Students must own a copy of the following books:
- Yoga in Action: A Preliminary Course by Geeta S. Iyengar
- Light on Yoga by BKS Iyengar
- Light on Life by BKS Iyengar
- Light on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjlai by B.K.S. Iyengar and/or
- The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali by Edwin F. Bryant
Please write a brief essay describing why you are interested in attending this program. Those who want to attend the teacher training class on Saturday afternoons should note that in their essay. Please include the non-refundable deposit of $75 made payable to “Holly Kostura” and mail to:
The Iyengar Yoga Center of the Lehigh Valley
c/o Holly Walck Kostura
1719 N New St
Bethlehem, PA 18018
Holly Walck Kostura has been practicing yoga for almost 20 years and teaching for almost 15 years. In 2004, she founded The Iyengar Center of the Lehigh Valley, the first Iyengar Yoga studio in Northeastern Pennsylvania, USA, which continues to support a community of devoted practitioners. She currently holds a Junior Intermediate III teaching certificate.
Holly studies regularly with her mentor, Patricia Walden of Cambridge, MA. From 2005-2009, she apprenticed with and assisted Joan White at the BKS Iyengar Yoga School of Central Philadelphia. She now travels to Pune, India annually to practice and train with the Iyengar family at the renowned Ramamani Iyengar Memorial Yoga Institute. Holly has studied directly with BKS Iyengar and Geeta Iyengar in the US, Canada and China.
Her deep dedication to her own practice inspires and informs her teaching, which is clear, compassionate and steeped in philosophy. Her Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing and special interest in anatomy and physiology give her the unique ability to see her students from a place of wholeness.
For Holly, yoga is a path of transformation and absolute freedom that has far-reaching effects beyond the limits of the physical body. It is her intention to share how the practice of yoga reveals the infinite source of health and joy within.